Friday, October 21, 2011

City garden ------winter interest




The last dragonfly of the summer at my roses.




Viewing my garden in the city from my back door in the dead of winter is often a drab affair. Brown fences and wires running down the alley, morning glory vines someone planted that have taken over the alley, everything in repose for the winter. But wait, I do have life, the cast of a thousand different sparrows, juncos and cardinals at the feeders. Of course, there are pigeons and squirrels trying to raid the feeders. We battle every year and usually they win.

But, the shin tailed hawk 
that appears from Fairmount Park takes care of that problem for awhile. He is beautiful, sitting on the fence in the middle of urban spaces of squared off, fenced 10x15 parcels often looking like receptacles for trash cans and BBQ grills and plastic furniture past it’s prime.


So how do I make this a better viewing area in the winter? What garden bones do I have in place to make my garden have winter interest? The workshop with the Master Gardeners showed plants and trees that bloom in the winter. They also talked about texture and bringing art into the garden to give it my personality.
Let’s see. I have the ivy on the fence that stays green and allows the sparrows a place to dwell in bad weather. There is the potted rhododendron with the yellow star, the metal door mat hanging like a sculpture on the wooden fence and the blue container planted with bulbs for the spring. Since I lost the Acer Griseum 2 years ago the corner is barren and ugly. 
I need to view my garden with a different lens. 
                                                                Think sepia not bold color.  

Next I am going shopping for a small tree to put into the corner. I am looking at maples and crabapples that will give me winter interest.

I found a Japanese Maple (Acer Palmatum) Shigure Bato. Small 10 to 12 feet, colorful red branching, delicate leaves and it fills the corner beautifully. It makes me smile. Now to give the red star to my neighbor and the corner is complete for my interesting winter garden. Irises and tulips in the spring and a wonderful tree in the winter





No comments:

Post a Comment