Friday, November 18, 2011

Musing on Gardenwear




In a garden blog I read recently, a person asked “What’s a good store on-line to buy some garden work shirts?”  What??!!  People actually buy new gardening clothes?  I thought you were supposed to garden in old clothes that you would have already thrown out if you weren’t a gardener.  That old shirt with bleach spots on it, those pants that went out of style in the 1990’s - those are gardening clothes.  You can recycle from your wardrobe for years.  I know what I’m talking about.    

OK.  Once when I ran out of old clothes in which to garden, I went to the Salvation Army on half-price day and bought more.  I spent about $5 for two pairs of pants and one long sleeved shirt.  I thought it was wasteful, but it couldn’t be helped.  I needed something to garden in.    

To purchase gardening clothes on-line and pay shipping to get them is a radical concept in my cheap, little world.  What do you garden in?  And where did you get it?


Loretta DeMarco
Philadelphia Master Gardener



2 comments:

  1. I garden in my old baggy pants from the 80s. Remember MC Hammer's pants? They look something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you. My gardening wardrobe is whatever - usually in earth tones. I did purchase waterproof boots that I use just for the garden and I occasionally treat myself to a new pair of gloves. The 'look' may not be pretty but certainly functional.

    ReplyDelete