Thursday, January 3, 2013

Longwood Gardens at Christmas

Michele K. Koskinen

I recently visited Longwood Gardens for the Christmas Lights and profusion of decorated trees,poinsettias and other holiday plants. It never fails to make me happy. Along the way I found the legacy of this garden started with the Pierce family in the 1600's and then was purchased by Pierre Dupont in early 1900's to save the trees slated to be cut for timber. In the ensuing years, he made a garden worthy of the most beautiful European gardens like Versailles.






If you have not visited, I encourage you to go and ramble. The conservatory is full of wonderful plants and specimans that show true botanical diversity. The gardens displays change with the seasons and there are often performances in the warmer months. I have included a few photos of my visit and a link to the gardens. Enjoy.

For more information on Longwood Gardens:
Story of Longwood















































No comments:

Post a Comment